Wednesday, February 19, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Ravellenic Edition

It's well into the winter Olympic games and I haven't posted about my participation in the Ravelry organized Ravellenic games that run parallel to the Olympics.

I'm a member of team South Paws, and have been working hard on a pair of socks as my main project.
It's a DROPS pattern that my sister picked off Ravelry. The yarn is Glacier Bay from Pagewood Farms that I picked up at my lys. The socks are for her, but I love both yarn and pattern, so I may have to make this pattern again, and pick up another skein of yarn for a different sock pattern, or a shawl, I'm not picky...

I'm almost finished with my Ringwood gloves, I've been done with the knitting, but have yet to weave in ends, block, and sew on buttons (buttons ytbd). The goal is to have them done before closing ceremonies on Sunday, for another category in the Ravellenic games.

I've also finished a swatch for the Heliopath Vest from Interweave's special edition: Harry Potter Knits. I picked up enough Wool of the Andes at the Knit Picks big sale to make the vest.
Ta-da!

In baking related developments, I've tweaked my banana bread recipe in hopes of a ribbon at the Minnesota State Fair this summer. I did well last year- somewhere between 6th and 25th. The first batches were well received, and I'm positive about the changes.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Special Edition

Tomorrow February 7th, the first Friday in February, is Go Red for Women day. The American Heart Association has organized every year for the past decade to bring awareness to the fact that heart disease kills more women than all types of cancer combined.

I spent several years working at Macy's, which is one of the biggest sponsors of the event. In addition to the sale of the AHA's red dress pins and the extra percentage off the sale that a pin or other red item of clothing earned customers, Macy's also educated its (mostly female) employees on the risks of heart disease in women. I get email from the Go Red website on a monthly basis, and find them useful and informative, check it out for yourself.

The first Friday in February is a day to wear red, and years ago I made a red blouse specifically for the occasion. I picked up the fire-engine red cotton at the local No-Ann fabrics and used a pattern in my library. It worked well for a few years, but the three-quarter length sleeves gave me trouble- they constricted and made movement difficult. I tossed the.troubled garment into my sewing pile unsure of what to do. I considered tearing apart for scrap use, but decided to alter it instead. I still had some of the fabric, and decided to add plackets to the sleeves-using a template found in a book on garment sewing. After removing the cuffs I realized I would need to replace those. Uh-oh, that could have been a problem, but I had just enough fabric to do that-as long as I only used .25inch seam allowances.

Here you can see the placket pieces, it is.my first attempt at adding plackets to a garment. I've done many simple cuff bands and the occasional continuous lap, bit never something as 'complicated' as a placket. Well it is rather simple and quite ingenious. I predict more blouses with plackets in my future.

This Is still a work in progress because I haven't don the finishing work on the cuff- stitching down the facing, top stitching around the edge and the dreaded buttonholes and buttons... I have yet to perfect a buttonhole, and I remind myself that practice makes perfect, but it's still something I dislike.
posted from Bloggeroid