Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Take two!

So you know how socks come in pairs right??

Well the trickiest part about knitting socks is getting the second to look like the first.  I'm currently working on Riff, from the deep fall 2010 edition of Knitty. (I love knitty by the way...)

I finished the first sock last week, and promptly cast on for the second- to avoid second sock syndrome. I picked up the pace for the second sock, because the first took way too long to knit and so that I can be done with them. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful pattern and I like knitting socks, but I'm itching to cast on something new, and I promised myself that I would finish a project before starting a new one.

The problems began when I had to start increasing for the gusset. The sock is worked toe up, so it's fairly early in the construction that gusset increases happen.  When knitting the first sock, I failed to note on which pattern row I started the gusset increases. After a close inspection, I was able to guess where the increases should start, or so I thought. Upon coming to the end of the gusset increases and getting ready to turn the heel and work the heel flap, I noticed that the second sock didn't match the first. The instructions state to 'Make a note of which Chart row you’ve just worked.' Well, my mental note (subject to error!) stated that I had just finished the last row of the foot chart. On the second sock, I was two rows from the end of the chart.

All is well, at least with the second sock I was able to get the instep and heel patterns to match exactly, the first sock was off by a row- which still has me confused... I have finished the heel flap and will now proceed to the leg.

Pictures will come at a later date, it's entirely to hot to consider modeling a wool sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment